'Guardians of the Galaxy' production on hold

BY SAMANTHA COSTANZO
Posted on JUL 24, 2019

The small crew that had been already hired for the film has been dismissed and given the right to look for new work.

Production onGuardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 has been put on hold following director James Gunn's firing, according toThe Hollywood Reporter.

The small crew that had been already hired for the film has been dismissed and given the right to look for new work. While Disney never released a premiere date for the film, an anonymous source said that the timeline for the movie has shifted, meaning that it will likely be released later than anticipated.
Gunn was fired after jokes he tweeted 10 years ago about rape, pedophilia, and other topics were rediscovered by right-wing Twitter users.

Gunn apologized for the tweets previously and issued a second statement shortly after his firing.

"I have regretted them for many years since not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don't reflect the person I am today or have been for some time," Gunn said. "Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then."

Fans and cast members alike have spoken up about their disappointment over the decision, with the main cast of theGuardiansfilms signing a letter in support of the director.

"We are not here to defend his jokes of many years ago but rather to share our experience having spent many years together on set making 'Guardians of the Galaxy' 1 and 2," the letter said. "The character he has shown in the wake of his firing is consistent with the man he was every day on set, and his apology, now and from years ago when first addressing these remarks, we believe is from the heart, a heart we all know, trust and love.